Saturday, September 23, 2006

Uncle Jerry...

Uncle Wayne,
Uncle Jerry and I hunted together the whole time, daily after school, while I was up in Junction with Grandma. He was my first real hunting partner. He always told me how he would really enjoy the chance to go on a bear hunt where some crazed slobbering 500lb bear would charge him, forcing him to unloaded his gun into it as raced towards him and right before it's deadly attack would fall dead at his feet. I can vividly recall sitting with him while he would tell me that story and thinking to myself, what a brave man. Many of those type of stories took place on the way from school to the ranch for the evening hunt. I would then be forced to sit in a blind all alone in the middle of the woods with my mind racing in anticipation of the bear attack that never came. Many hours of good hunting was spent peering out the back door of the slab-blind down into the dark gully that ran behind it, searching for the slightest movement which would indicate my impending death. Thank God the bear never came.

As I sat on my stand in Maine, I can't tell you how many memories of uncle Jerry I had about that hunting season we spent together. I know he was with me when I took my bear. I'm just as sure that he had a lot to do with how wonderful the whole experience was.

1 comment:

richard said...

wow. my memeries with uncle jerry are limited. i do recall one day sitting in spot east of the slab looking down into the gullie behind some cutting cedar limbs. while sitting there he tell me i need to be quite. i was tring so hard but it is pretty hard to be quite with him tickling the crap out of me. he would grab my knee and sqeeze and i could not control myself. thanks for the memories.